Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie: Chocolate-Banded Ice Cream Torte

I've been having an aversion to ice cream for a while, and thanks to this week's recipe, that has allll changed. Amy with Food, Family, and Fun chose this weeks recipe. Like the last couple of choices, this was a cinch and incredibly delicious! This was a perfect project for my last Friday off because I could do all my chores and errands while the layers were freezing. Basically, this ganache dictated my whole day, but I didn't really mind :-) I cut the recipe in half and made it in a mini 4" springform pan and went with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream to go with the chocolate ganache.

My first ganache! This was so easy (and DELICIOUS). I finally got over my intimidation of the word "ganache," and a double boiler. The ganache is even better when it freezes and makes the perfect soft consistency for an ice cream cake. Someone expressed concern for the raw eggs in the ganache, and I actually got really concerned. Completely unlike me, since I have a reallly bad habit of over-indulging in bowl/spatula/spoon batter. I didn't see any pasteurized eggs at the store so I tried Egg Beaters, and they seemed to work just fine.

This was surprisingly easy to get out of the pan with Dorie's warm towel suggestion and I think I did a pretty good job making my layers even! I agree with some of the other Tuesday With Dorie'ers that this was an incredibly hard recipe to photograph for the blog. It was so A. Melty. B. Sticky. and C. Irresistibly Lickable. You can find the recipe on this week's host, Amy's blog.

5 comments:

Teanna DiMicco said...

An aversion to ice cream!?! Glad you came back to your senses! It looks great!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your torte looks sooooo good, especially that thick ganache layer. I'm glad the eggbeaters worked for you. I'll use those next time to help with the fat and cholesterol of this recipe! I'm not a huge ice cream fan myself, but I do have a weakness for coffee ice cream...
Nancy

Bungalow Barbara said...

melty. sticky. lickable. Yum!

Glad you liked it!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Cookie dough ice cream! Sounds great!

Jules Someone said...

Seriously? An aversion to ice cream? I didn't think it was possible. Nice job!