Monday, August 11, 2008

An Experiment in Biscotti Making



My mom has started commissioning me to bake things for her: last week I made a few dozen blueberry muffins for volunteers at National Collegiate's for ice skating and this week she's got a kick-off breakfast meeting for her job. I'm going to make the blueberry muffins again since they're out of this world. I got the recipe from my high-altitude baking class and I promise I'll get it posted. But I also wanted something else. I was flipping through Dorie's book and ran over the biscotti and knew I had to make some of those too. Who doesn't love dipping cookies in coffee and tea?? It's pretty much my favorite coffee accessory, but I've never tried them from scratch. I'm going to make the almond biscotti, but decided to try the chocolate almond recipe as a tester before I committed to the idea.


These probably got the best reaction out of anything I've brought to work. My boss even yelled out, "You did not?!!" when she got the announcement e-mail. Now I know what to bring her when I ask for something, mwahaaha. Since I cut the recipe down by 75% I was afraid of burning them and I think I ended up under-baking them so they were more soft than crisp, but it was an experiment and that's what experiments are for.

Biscotti Experiment #1: Success!

And since I'm obsessed with pastries, here are some pics of the dessert we had last night at the Denver Aquarium for my dad's b-day:



Key Lime Pie


Raspberry Cheesecake with sorbet and a fish cookie

These desserts gave me a stomach ache. And so did this:

My brother and his fiance. I heckle them in my head, "Ok, you're in love...we get it already!"

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Nice job on the biscotti. I've never made it before and I admit, it intimidates me. But I'm still willing to give it a try. I LOL at the comment on your bro and his fiance! :o)

Stef said...

Wow! Those desserts all look so decadent! Nice looking biscotti!