Monday, August 11, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie: Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream




I LOVE making ice cream and I never knew it! If I had known how easy this was I would've started making ice cream a loooong time ago. I only had to wash three (!) dishes. Lucky for me my roommate has an ice cream maker so I could be good and lazy.


Sometimes I dream of baked goods. Actually, most nights I dream of baked goods and one night last week I dreamt about ice cream cakes and knew I had to make a mini-ice cream cake this week. I worked at an ice cream store for one month after college for a filler type of job and it was the best job I have ever had. We used to make the ice cream cakes we sold and I loved packing the tins with rich Cherry Garcia and crumbled Oreos. I started researching ice cream cake methods online when I saw the recipe to finish August for TWD: the ice cream tart. I decided I better wait on the cake idea, so I did the next best thing....ice cream cookie sandwiches!


I like to pretend I'm British and had a whole package of McVitte currant shortbread biscuits on hand to dip in my Earl Grey tea. (I loooove cookies and tea!) But there just isn't time for biscuits and tea when I have to take my tea to go as I'm running out the door in the morning, so I thought they would be much better applied to blueberry ice cream. There really couldn't have been more of a perfect cookie/ice cream pairing.


From what I read I was afraid there was going to be too much of a sour cream taste, but I didn't notice. To me it was a smooth combination of fruity and creamy; perfect for a summer ice cream. To try it out before fall arrives find the recipe in our host Dolores' blog Chronicles of Culinary Curiosity .



9 comments:

Jacque said...

I couldn't believe how easy this was either.

Cute idea!

Anonymous said...

Those are adorable. I love that you pretend you are British. too funny.

Dolores said...

I love your grown up version of ice cream sandwiches. Your biscuits look like the perfect pairing to the ice cream.

Prudy said...

Those are adorable as ice cream sandwiches. YOur biscotti look yummy too.

Pamela said...

This was a very easy recipe, one of the easiest I've done with TWD. Not to mention how utterly mess-less it was. Nice job on the sandwiches. Yum!

Mari said...

I'm going to make ice cream sandwiches tonite!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Cute little sandwiches!

Jules Someone said...

Glad you enjoyed it. Very cute sandwiches!

Sharon said...

This was an easy recipe, by far the easiest I have ever made. Most are made more difficult by having to temper eggs or they have raw eggs - yuck!