Monday, September 15, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie: Chocolate Chunkers

Dorie says these cookies are so good they are only deserving of using the very best chocolate. None of this Safeway brand semi-sweet chocolate chip business. If you're going to be spending all that money on these cookies, they should only be for special occasions. So, it was great timing that the couple's wedding shower I was hosting for my brother and future sister-in-law was this weekend! And you know your desert is a hit when you get asked for the recipe.

I used Ghiradeli bittersweet and white chocolate, in addition to the semi-sweet chocolate chunks and cocoa powder. I got a great look of confusion from the check-out guy at the store when all I bought were 4 giants chocolate bars and 4 Luna bars. I'm sure he was just jealous of the delicoiusness I was about to make.

I also used dried sweet cherries instead of the raisins which were the BEST part of the cookie. I opted for almonds for the nuts. I didn't have time to roast them, but they still added a nice crunch to all the cookie chunkiness. Scooping them into rounds for baking was interesting because there were so many chunks and so little dough holding them all together, but I managed ;-).
I LOVE these cookies. They are tied for my favorite with the Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters from a few weeks ago (which also set a 20 minute disappearance record at work when I brought them in after round two of making them). They are decadent, soft, chewy, and have just enough variety. I really recommend using cherries. You can find the recipe over at Claudia's place.

9 comments:

Lori said...

that's a pretty strong recommendation for dried cherries! i'll have to try them the next time i make these cookies.

Engineer Baker said...

20 minutes?!? Wow, I was impressed when something of mine disappeared in an hour - kudos! And I'm kicking myself for not going and buying dried cherries for these now.

marae said...

Cherries! What a novel idea...I just put a ton of chocolate into mine but they turned out fab. Seriously how can you ruin a cookie with chocolate in it???

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

YUM!

Pamela said...

The dried cherries sound great and it sounds like the cookies were a huge success! They were so good, weren't they?

Bungalow Barbara said...

I used dried cherries too -- my notes for next time say "use more cherries." These were such decadent cookies! Yum!

Jacque said...

I used cherries too and I really thought they kicked these cookies up a notch. Yours look fantastic and you're right, they're nice for a special occasion.

Jules Someone said...

Glad you liked these. I used a mix of dried fruit that included cherries. Mmmmm.

Fool for Food said...

Great idea with the cherries. Your cookies look wonderful. Glad you enjoyed the recipe.