Monday, September 8, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie: Chocolate Malted Malteser Drops

I think every time I opened Dorie's book I would look at this recipe. I was so excited to see it on the list of upcoming recipes so soon after I started TWD. This was a great recipe and a HUGE hit with my co-workers.

I made a special trip and picked up some Maltesers to use instead of Whoppers. I like to pretend I'm Britsh, remember. I actually just threw away a hugh bag of Maltesers not too long ago. My Finnish friend from studying in London sent me a giant box of Maltesers for Christmas and six months later I decided I needed to get rid of the left-overs. They would have really come in handy...

This was the gooey-est dough I've ever made. I ditched my little cookie scooper asap. But it did make soft, cakey cookies, which is my FAVorite texture for a cookie.


See how ooey-cookie-chocolatey-yummy this was! I agree with a lot of the other TWD-ers that it was too choclatey. This cookie put me in a chocolate coma. But that didn't stop me from eating the whole thing, I just needed a whole glass of milk to help me finish it.



I added an extra tablespoon and a half of flour for high altitute. Also, I was a little short on Maltesers (I didn't chop them, just put them in a plastic bag and crushed them with a meat mallet), so I added some more chocolate and malt powder. I think they were too malt-ey with the extra malt I added, so I will definitely cut down on that next time. Thanks to Rachel from Confessions of a Tangerine Tart for choosing this ooey-gooey-Malteser-tastic cookie. See how the other TWD-ers got their cookie on at the TWD blogroll.

11 comments:

Teanna DiMicco said...

So ooey-gooey! Glad they were such a hit!

Shelby said...

For shame, I just finished off the last of my whoppers while sitting here reading posts. The cookies have been long gone. Too bad...so sad :( LOL

Engineer Baker said...

Definitely gooey and delicious :) But too malty? Definitely a break from what others thought.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Glad everyone liked them!

Madam Chow said...

I sent these to my husband's office and they were a huge hit there, too. Glad that everyone liked them over there, too!
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

Pamela said...

LOL! Chocolate coma! They look great!

betty geek said...

Ooey gooey delights! Great job!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Chocolate coma indeed! I'm glad they were such a hit.
Nancy

Bungalow Barbara said...

Glad you liked them!

Prudy said...

Ooh, those look awfully good and gooey as you said. I cracked up at your pretending to be British. Have you ever seen the movie Breaking Away? If not, it's hilarious, about a college aged guy that's obsessed with being Italian. Please tell me you've seen it.

Jules Someone said...

Lovely looking cookies! I'm jealous.