Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Baking Clubs and Broomstick Guitars



So far my blog is pretty lame. It's been a lot of, "one day I made this, and then some people ate it". Well, this is all about to change. First, I get to bake my first Tuesdays with Dorie project this weekend!. I ordered my book, Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan on Amazon last week and got all stressed out that I wouldn't get it in time before the first challenge, and then I would get kicked out of the club before I even got started, etc, etc. So, I went to the library to get myself a copy to hold me over until I get mine from Amazon. Holy cow! No wonder you chose this baking book! It's SO accesible. All the recipes look amazing. Dorie's writing is so encouraging and interesting, and I don't feel patronized for having to look up words in the glossary.

I'm super excited about the next two recipes. I was a little nervous, but banana bread is one of my favs (and I've got a stash or frozen ones right now) and the chocolate/marbling twist will be the perfect challenge to start with. I'm making it Saturday and can't wait.

Even more exciting is I'm starting a quick little high-altitute baking course this weekend and next at a great place I found in the Highlands, Generous Servings. http://www.generousservings.com/index.html. Yay, baking class!

I actually did a ton of baking last weekend, none of which I documented. Oops. A couple failed brownie attempts. The first because the reciped SUCKed, the second because I started eating all of it straight out of the pan which was getting out of control, so it went down the trash chute.

We started our first baking club last weekend from work also. We made-up a contest that whoever finished thier call list at work first got to pick what we baked. Lemon cake it was. I also made some snickerdoodles because I'd never made them before. My apartment has never smelled so good. Our co-workers love baking club because they get to eat the products of our labor on Monday morning. They are definitely starting to get spoiled. One of my managers pouted all day because there weren't any chocolate chips in the goodies. He'd walk by my desk and whisper, "chocolate chips, chocolate chips". Spoiled.

On another note:

I love Wall-E because he's not a morning person either.


And I wish every weekend was Harry and the Potters concert weekend!



2 comments:

Dolores said...

Welcome to TWD. Can't wait to see your banana loaf! :)

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Welcome from a fellow newbie - this was my first official week in TWD. Dorie's book is great - we've had it all summer and baked from it before joining the group.